You’ll also find this post at The Pulse
Here’s that case study I promised.
It’s a medical clinic that has everything going for it.
Yet they can’t get a single full-time general practitioner (GP) doctor to join them.
They’ve run press ads till they’re blue in the face, with zero effect.
That’s why I won’t write them another one.
So what CAN they do?
To find out, we must play: Fortunately Unfortunately!
The clinic has smart management, modern facilities and enlightened practices (they don’t serve Valium in Pez dispensers).
It’s in Coburg. And though this former working-class Melbourne suburb is rapidly evolving, distant GPs don’t know it.
The clinic has run several attractive, well-written and cripplingly expensive job ads in top national medical magazines.
The ads always appear at the back of these mags, eclipsed by all the other ads from all the other clinics.
Worse, passive job seekers (GPs happy in their current role) don’t even bother with this section.
The clinic’s GPs keep 70% of everything they bill. This is high by industry standards. (The other 30% covers rent, equipment, consumables and so on.) All a GP need do is turn up and earn.
The clinic bulk bills. While this makes health easier and cheaper for all, it carries massive stigma for ‘private’ GPs who don’t do it.
The clinic has low debt, loyal patients, growing revenue and big plans.
It’s perfectly positioned to expand in and beyond its current site.
They can’t move a muscle without more staff.
GPs are rare, fussy and in HOT demand.
Happy GPs are impossible to dislodge.
Unhappy GPs can be more trouble than they’re worth.
What to do?
Here’s what I said at the briefing session:
‘First, do no (more) harm. Forget the ads.
Instead, get into the front of medical magazines.
How? By writing articles that editors and readers will love.
Demonstrate your expertise and passion.
Subtly build your brand.
Become an industry thought leader.
Instead of chasing GPs, show how your clinic is genuinely superior to others.
Eventually, GPs will come to you.
And it won’t cost you a cent.’
The team liked the cut of my jib; hence this post.
But what do YOU reckon?
Should the clinic:
- Keep flogging a dead horse?
- Ditch their grand vision and go private?
- Follow my advice.
- Follow your advice (describe).
The situation is critical.
BP is 260 over 12.
We’re losing them …
It’s a … CODE
Paul Hassing, Founder & Senior Writer, The Feisty Empire
Where have all the comments gone?
We love hearing what you have to say, and stories you might have, so fear not, you’re still able to comment! We’ve moved the party over to our new place, The Pulse. Come and join the conversation on this post here.